This afternoon I set out to fix my flat front tire with a new Schwalbe model. I had purchased some Schwalbe tubes along with the tires five months ago so decided to use one of those today.
Getting the tire and tube on the rim was a challenge so after inflating the completed assembly to 85psi I decided to check it under water to be sure I hadn’t cut the tube. All was going swimmingly, I was almost completely 360 degrees around the check when BANG! (see image one below)
It was quite a LOUD shock. Image one below shows the new tube and tire post water check. Back tracking through the tube box I found (and then read) a small brochure that emphasized the tubes upper limit of 5 bar. Turns out 5 bar is 72psi. I’ve never expected a tube to be so limiting. Oh well. Back to a standard REI 700cx28 tube.