A snippet of my Excel speadsheet bike mileage is shown below representing lots of pedal to the metal (literally). How I came to 2,727 miles for 2013 is a study in constantly resetting the carrot being chased as well as lots of compulsive bike riding. The six instances of moving the carrot further and yet further out of reach are described forthwith.
- It’s the end of September and I am thinking Yikes! You slacker, you need to at least get over 2,000 miles for the year
- Cranking more in October 2,000 miles seems a given so I move the carrot out to 200 miles/month. By December I have 2,165 and the weather demands getting out, so out I go (and go and go and …)
- I hit 2,400 miles on 12/15 with 235 for the month and the carrot slides to 406/month, the most miles in a 2013 month
- A Christmas day ride moves me to 401 miles so the carrot shifts to 456 to be my second largest total for a December
- Boxing Day and 53 more miles brings me to 453 miles so the carrot jumps again, to 556, the most in 9.5 years as well as the most post heart attack. I also notice that I’m nearing the 2010 total of 2,725 so the carrot jumps over to that column to accomplish both goals. Why not?
- After a ride on 12/30 I’m at 538 miles so need only 23 miles to reach 2,726 for the year as well as the most in a month in 9.5 years
- 12/31/2013 — last chance for miles this year and I have a long 10:30 appointment in Santa Barbara so I jump up and take an early ride to SB for breakfast and carefully log 24 miles to total 2,727 miles for the year (looks nicer and more balanced than 2,726 no?) and 562 for the month, the highest total since July of 2006
- Ah, but tomorrow is another day, another month, another year 🙂
- Happy and safe riding to all in 2014!